Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blog #4: Personal Statement - Infuential Person

As a child growing up, my father would always tell me and my older siblings to "Never cheat yourself." In reality, I never knew what he meant until I reached high school and became an all star athlete. He would tell me to take the same motivation and self determination I had on the basketball court and track and use it in the classroom. It wasn't until then that I made paying attention in class my focal point for doing well in high school. I found it necessary to study. Learning came relatively easy for me and I didn't have to use as much energy as some did with learning new subjects or getting familiar with new concepts, but I put forth the effort anyways. It's apparent to me that since high school, I've started to do the same thing with life.

I had always thought of myself as a mature, young adult, but now I do more than ever. I moved out of my mother's house my second year in high school, applied for many different job positions and improved my resume by getting involved in different service learning projects and extra curricular activities. Adding a child to the busy life of school and work didn't make life any easier, but definitely added value to all the little things that I usually took for granted. I promised my daughter our last day in the hospital that I would do all I could to make her proud of me, and to give her the best in life. As of our eighth month together, I have kept my promise. As I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ, I pray every often that God empowers the strength in me to uphold my promise. Unlike many others teenage moms... failure is not an option for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment